Sunday, February 6, 2011

Rumi

I've been feeling a little lost and unsure of things in the past couple of days. I have nothing to complain about, but just didn't know how to fill the holes that seem to be popping up around me. No one else can see them, but I could feel them, and felt silly or selfish for not appreciating what I DO have. Sometimes, life can be like that. And you just can't figure out what it is you're missing.

But friends and poetry... company and words that pop up at the right moment- can switch something in your mind or heart. They can shift your thoughts suddenly, unexpectedly, but effectively. That's what a few lines from Rumi did for me today. I found a Rumi calendar in the bookstore, and just started reading the quotes at the back. So many of them resonated with me, lifting me up and helping me to focus and, as Rumi would say, they "opened my wings ...filled my cup... " bringing me back to what's important, to what's sacred:

"Something opens our wings. Something makes boredom and hurt disappear. Someone fills the cup in front of us. We taste only sacredness."- Rumi

No comments: