Sunday, February 20, 2011

QUIETNESS by Rumi

I try to make it so that a poem by Rumi is the first thing I read every morning.

Here's one that speaks to me, and I'm not even sure why. But that's what Rumi's poetry is like. You have to sit with it, or let it fall into place in your mind or heart over the course of the day, or week or maybe even longer. Maybe it will come to me in a moment of quietness or silence.

QUIETNESS

Inside this new love, die.
Your way begins on the other side.
Become the sky.
Take an axe to teh prison wall.
Escape.
Walk out like someone suddenly born into color.
Do it now.
You're covered with thick cloud.
Slide out the side. Die,
and be quet. Quietness is the surest sign
that you've died.
Your old life was a frantic running
from silence.

The speechless full moon
comes out now.

No comments: