Monday, July 25, 2011

"Shall We Dance?"- A Too Cool Romance

To my great friends, Renee and Steve, on their wedding day. Thanks for inspiring this poem and reminding me what real love is all about.



...I believe that all great things and people that come together, are drawn together, and nothing can stop that. It's not about someone introducing them, or that they were in the right place at the right time. It's just destined to happen, no matter what. So it just clicks, naturally. And for all of you who have spent any time around Renee and Steve, you know that their connection is just that- so natural. It feels as if it has been there all the time. ...because, … well, …they were simply JUST MEANT TO BE.
...

“Shall we dance?” Steve asked with a smile.
“Of course!” said Renee; she liked his style.
Little did they know what lay in store,
as they headed out onto the floor.


For they weren’t just at any old dance,
Salsa at the Library held stories of romance.
Stacks of books in the room above hid,
historical tales of the workings of Cupid.


But Romeo had nothing on these two,
‘Cos Renee and Steve were between far and few,
a couple of young hearts set in motion,
driven it seemed by a LOVVVVE potion.


It didn’t take long for him to call her up,
“I need a few things for my place, and uhhh…a woman’s touch?
A table, some chairs- would you help me choose?”
“Oh, that voice,” she thought, “how could I refuse?”


She threw on some jeans
and a cute t-shirt,
And pressed her hair
with her pink straightener.


Out the door she was in a flash,
And after that day there was no looking back.
Each moment together was like heavenly bliss,
Must have been that first sweet kiss,


Or the night she just jumped onto his leg?
“I could kind of get used to this,” Steve said.
“She’s pretty cute, and spunky too.
Life with her is fun, it’s true.”


“I’m so lucky to have you,” said Renee.
“You’re funny, and always know just what to say.
Besides, I love your delicious cooking,
And you are pretty darn good looking.”


Steve said, “I like spending time with you too,
We should step this up a notch or two,
like share our dishes and appliances too?
I know, why don’t we live under one roof?”


So they moved in together, and created a home,
She pranced in pj’s while he chilled in the meditation zone.
And when they’d have dinner, or lay in bed,
she’d read to him, and he’d massage her head.


“There’s no place I’d rather be,
Even when watching Dr. Who on TV,
With you everything feels right,
I don’t wanna ever let you out of my sight,”
said Renee,… or was it Steve?


Okay, so maybe these weren’t their exact words
But play along ‘k? ‘Cos as you’ve already heard,
this is the story of the bride and the groom,
the couple we’re celebrating in this very room.


So let’s get to that exact part.
You know, when they decided to never be apart.


They flew to Maui where they soaked in the sun,
Steve found Koki Beach, where there was… no one.
“You dropped something,” he said, as they sat by the water.
Renee looked down, and you know what she saw there?
- something sparkling by the rocks at her feet.
Faster and faster her heart started to beat,
when she identified the thing as a ring,
and tears to her eyes did the sight bring.


Quickly Steve picked up on the cue,
and knew this was the moment he should do what he came to do.
“I’d like you to be with me for the rest of my life,
Will you be my beautiful wife?” he asked.
“Are you serious?” said Renee, “Are you sure?”
“Uhh… well, if you put it that way, I’m out the door!” said Steve.


“YES, yes, a million times yes,
Of all the days of my life, this is the best!” said Renee.
“Thank God, ’cos I wasn’t really going to leave,
but now that you’ve answered, I’m so relieved,” said Steve.


They hugged and kissed, bare feet kicking the sand,
And Renee admired the new band on her hand.
Steve said, “It sparkles, like your radiant eyes,
Let’s celebrate …with… some curly fries!”

“And ketchup?” reminded Renee
“Only the best for you, my fiancĂ©e!” said Steve.
They linked arms and skipped to the nearest bar,
And ate below the Hawaiian stars.


And THAT’S why they stand here, now man and wife,
So let’s wish for them a most magical life,
As today begins another chapter,
of their love story, happily ever after.

                                                                          ©Tasleem

No comments: